Friday, February 6, 2009

Keeping La Paz

So after a pretty uneventful seven hour journey I landed in La Paz, Bolivia. It was mainly uneventful because I was passed out the entire time. I had a very kind lady who was from San Diego traveling to see family in La Paz wake me up when the food arrived. Unfortunately she took that to mean waking up every time the steward came by. ¨Did I want water?´No, i´m god. ¨What about a towel?¨No, thank you. In between wake up calls I was able to get some rest.


I landed in La Paz and I have never been so high in my life! This is not an expression. La Paz is THE highest capital in the world standing just over 12,000 feet in elevation. I definitely felt the affects today. Walking around I would get really light-headed and have to stop and take a break and drink some water. Here is a picture of me in front of the Terminal de Autobuses.


I ended up getting on a 1030a bus to Oruro where I was hoping to make a 330p train to Uyuni. Unfortunately, all the tickets were ¨agotado¨ sold out and so I walked around the town of Oruro, met an Argentinian couple, ate some pizza, rode on a Mini (think inner-city Sheroot if you have been to Israel, think colectivo if you have ever been to another Hispanic country). And that was about it.


I have been going in and out of lightheaded-ness throughout the day, but I know that I just have to take it easy today and hopefully by tomorrow my body will have become acclimatized to my new environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment